Please note: You are viewing the unstyled version of this website. Either your browser does not support CSS (cascading style sheets) or it has been disabled. Skip navigation.

Expedition Updates

On this page: Febuary 7 | Febuary 8 | Febuary 9 | Febuary 10 | Febuary 11 | Febuary 12 | Febuary 13 | Febuary 14
Febuary 15 | Febuary 16 | Febuary 17

Febuary 7
Since we have over 12 moorings to throw in the water and we can't load them all on the ship at once, we have to schedule 2 legs. Everything for the first leg is loaded and ready to go. Unfortunately, we have to wait one more day to leave WHOI because of a problem with our Vertical Linear Array (VLA) of hydrophones. Trouble always waits until the most inopportune time to raise its ugly head. Fortunately, we caught the problem before leaving the dock.

Temp: 35° F
Wind dir: SW
Wind spd: 5 knt
Weather: nice

Febuary 8
Guess what? High winds and large swells from a storm will keep us in port for one more day as it goes "harmlessly out to sea!" ETD tomorrow, Sunday, Feb 9 at noon.

Temp: Chilly
Wind dir:
Wind spd:

Febuary 9
The weather is finally cooperating. After a little shoveling, we left the dock at noon and are on our way. We should be on station at dawn tomorrow. ETD tomorrow, Sunday, Feb 9 at noon.

Temp: 35° F
Wind dir: NE
Wind spd: 10 knt
Weather: Nice

February 10
Work day 4:00 AM to midnight. We deployed three 200 hz sources, one 400 hz source, and two guard buoys. That's a little over 20 tons of equipment. Temperature profiles from last night's CTD casts show that there are great differences in the upper mixed layer depths near a front at our site. The mixed layer depth is greater than 100 meters just seaward of the front and at the front the mixed layer is quite shallow, less than 15 meters.

Temp: 30-34° F
Wind dir: SW
Wind spd: 5-15 knt
Weather: Not Bad

Feb 11
The acoustics portion of the experiment officially started today. We deployed the 'Shark of Science' hydrophone array, some more guard buoys (one twice!), and steamed off the shelf break to pick up some damaged equipment that was deployed earlier by another scientist at WHOI.

Last night a longer section of CTD casts was performed along the Eastern edge of our experiment area. The shelfbreak front is relatively narrow (~20km) here with a temperature contrast across the front of 4 degrees C. The front is shoreward of its normal position presumably due to a presense of a warm core ring, or remnant of ring structures, over the upper slope.

Temp: 34° F
Wind dir: NE
Wind spd: 16 knt
Weather: Some Snow

Feb 12
It takes an 6 hours to ready the WHOI VLA. Weather is worsening this afternoon and weather forecast predicts gale force winds. So instead of deploying now, we are lashing it down and heading home to pick up more equipment. We will deploy later.

Temp: 35° F
Wind dir: NE
Wind spd: 16+ knt
Weather: Worsening

Feb 13 Got back to WHOI at 8:40. The plan was to pick up the sea soar (the flying "CTD" package) and some mooring equipment, and head out at 4:00PM. Loading went quickly, but coming weather is delaying our departure.

We checked satellite images for sea surface temperature in our study area.

Feb 14
We are weathered in for the day.

Temp: 35° F
Wind dir: SE
Wind spd: 18+ knt
Weather: Rain

Feb 15
Left WHOI at 0630 and headed for our NW mooring site where we will deploy the WHOI Vertical Line Array (VLA). Forecast said expect 3-6 ft waves but out here it's more like 8+ ft swells! So deploying the VLA or the sea soar is out. We will do standard CTD hydrography and test the acoustic releases for the VLA which can be done in rougher conditions.

Temp: 35° F
Wind dir: W
Wind spd: 15 knt
Weather: Drizzle

Feb 16
Early last night, we got a nice hydrography section along the western edge of our experimental area showing an intrusion of a warm core ring (red) penetrating further upslope than expected. Later last night the weather soured and blew 40+ kts with the some waves getting above 20 ft! This worried us since the waves could easily wash our gear off the deck. Luckily, the weather improved enough by this morning to start some seasoar runs. With both the sea soar *and* one acoustic array simultaneaously in the water, we will meet a major objective of our experiment.

The seasoar has already gathered some temperatures from the western section of our experimental area.

Temp: 35° F
Wind dir: E
Wind spd: 10 knt
Weather: Sunny

Feb 17
Last night we got a "weather window" which allowed us to deploy the WHOI vla, a guard buoy, a thermistor chain, and an ADCP (Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler) mooring. The forecast is predicting a snow storm, so we took advantage of the flat calm conditions and performed night operations from 7 PM to 5:30 this morning. The seasoar was promptly deployed next only to have to be pulled out again at noon due to worsening weather. The sea raged to 8-12 ft with winds blowing steady over 40 knots. The seasoar now sits awash on the deck waiting for the weather to change. Things change *fast* out here. Right now, we are hove to.

Temp: 33° F
Wind dir: NE
Wind spd: 35-45 knt
Weather: Hang On!

Next Page
Last updated: June 23, 2011

whoi logo

Copyright ©2007 Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, All Rights Reserved, Privacy Policy.
Problems or questions about the site, please contact